How do I get rid of blackheads?!
A common question we get asked is “how do I get rid of blackheads?!” 🤔
Let me start by saying, I HEAR YOU!! These pesky things are sooo annoying. But, they are also SUPER common, so you are definitely not alone in your frustrations. But I am also here to tell you, there is soooo much you can do to help minimise blackheads 👌
Blackheads are a form of acne known as a comedo, which is a clogged hair follicle/pore in the skin. They are a build-up of sebum, dead skin & bacteria which become oxidised, creating the ‘black head’ appearance. 😎The first step to get rid of blackheads is to identify the root cause as many things can cause blackheads such as poor diet and lifestyle habits, hormones, excess oil production, skin care & cosmetic products, and too much caffeine.
Here are my top 10 tips for minimising blackheads:
- Eating a diverse wholefoods, nourishing diet that is free from (or almost free from) refined sugars, unhealthy fats, gluten and dairy, as well as ensuring you are drinking plenty of clean, filtered water, is a great place to start
- Making the switch to low-tox or no-tox skin care products & cosmetics
- Cleansing your face 1-2 times per day, ensuring not to over-cleanse (note: I highly recommend our oil-based cleanser as it is super gentle & works by dissolving & softening the blocked pores so they can be cleared)
- Using a gentle exfoliator 1-2 time a week (I use salt or organic sugar mixed with our oil-based cleanser)
- Homemade pore strip no more than once a week at most (mix 1tsp Gelatin Australias gelatin with 1-2tsp warm coconut milk, apply, cool, then peel off)
- Moisturise properly as oily skin is often actually dry, causing excess sebum to be produced in a bid to hydrate the skin. I suggest our Rosewater facial mist as it also contains witch hazel, followed by a facial oil (check our online skin quiz to find the facial oil for you)
- Get outdoors & let the glorious sunshine hit your skin
- Exercise regularly
- Always remove your makeup before bed using our Facial Cleanser (also try having at least 1 make-up free day per week)
- Try not to touch/pick/squeeze your face …. No matter how satisfying it may feel haha (try using our Pimp Guard Blemish Stick instead)
Hope that some of these help you on your health journey :D and reach out if you need any help, that's what we do! I'm not only a nurse, I'm a Functional Nutrition Consultant!
Love Candice Bauer